Skip to main content

Licorice or Drop

Black licorice. The Bane of kids everywhere (in honor of the new Batman movie coming out tomorrow I had to slide that in there). In America when we hear the word licorice, we normally think of the straw looking red kind or the nasty tasting black tar taffy.

In Holland, licorice is known as Drop and primarily comes in black and 2 flavors. No stringy red ropes either. Drop comes in these lozenge style shapes. And so I've read, I have never tried the stuff, it is a different flavor than what we're thinking of. One website states that Holland consumes the highest per capita consumption of licorice in the world. Or almost 4 1/2 lbs of the salty stuff a year. Wait, did I say salty? Yes, you read that correctly. Drop comes in a variety of flavors from sweet like we're used to, to this salty flavor. There's soft sweet, soft salty, hard sweet, and hard salty. With added flavors of honey, coconut, mint, etc. The current craze seems to be making the lozenges in the shapes of things from cars to cats. So they're like the animal crackers of the candy world! Search youtube for people trying the salty kind for the first time, and you'll find lots of sick looking people. Considering everyone in Holland seems to like the stuff, parents must start their children on it at an early age. I wonder if it's at first used as a form of discipline.

Drop can be purchased in shops and pharmacies and is used for medical purposes as much as pure enjoyment. It has been noted to cure stomach aches and sore throats. I will definitely be on the lookout for these next time I'm at a specialty food store.

Some say you aren't a true autochtoon unless you like drop and hagelslag. Until then, you're just an allochtoon. ( How many of you just used Google Translate?)

Comments

  1. First off I thought you were talking about drugs and second Licorice or Drop sounds like the phrase "some city" or bust. To me perhaps its only me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holland is just a step away

When life gives you lemons make green tea lemonade. So, when one lives in the midwest why not make the best of it and explore the sites in this area? You don't need a lot of money or even a passport. That brings us to Holland, Michigan a Dutch settlement in America. Obviously the city is very proud of its Dutch heritage, as shown in the klompen picture at the top. Klompen is the name of the Dutch wooden clog dance. There are many dutch settlements in Michigan but what makes Holland so distinctly Dutch are its two festivals: the tulip time festival in the spring and the winter festival. The tulip festival is held in mid-May and lasts for 8 days. The festival includes tours at the local windmills, tulip farms, local dutch houses, as well as dances, concerts, street scrubing, and a dutch marketplace. One interesting thing about the Dutch costumes that are presented during the festival is that they are from the 8 out of 12 different provinces of the Netherlands. Here is...

Ohhh the red, white, and blue

If you were given the job of creating a flag to represent your country, how would you design it?  Myself, I would probably think of some symbols of your country then hand over the design portion to an artist, with the plan of choosing colors that aptly represent where you live.  What have most countries of the world done?  Three bars filled in with color.  Lets talk about the Netherlands flag.  This "orange" country has a drab flag, but not only is it drab it's deceiving.  So many countries use red, white, and blue that it is confusing. + A little sun bleaching,  Luxembourg +Sea sickness       France + Dyslexia ,  Russia                                                                             ...

Songs Called Amsterdam

iTunes free song of the week last week was a song called Amsterdam by Imagine Dragons. I've never heard of them but it's a catchy Alternative song. But it made me think. In my own personal music collection. I have a few songs named Amsterdam. Three to be exact. This may give to much away about my music tastes but hey, I'm out of ideas for posts as evident by the lack thereof. I don't read into song lyrics deep enough sometimes, so not sure what some of these are talking about but most are hardly about the city itself.  1) Amsterdam by Imagine Dragons Just got this one like I said. Not sure yet. Here it is below. Make you want to ride a train.  2) Amsterdam by Guster Couldn't find a good video for this one. But here is the song. I guess, it's easy to get lost in Amsterdam... 3) Amsterdam by Coldplay My favorite of this bunch. Turns out it's called Amsterdam because Chris Martin wrote this in Amsterdam. The song says nothing of the canal fille...